Moving Out to a New Home! (Virtually) 😃

Image
Here's today's announcement. Alhamdulillah, after working earnestly for months, I finally can announce that I have a website!  kellytelly.com kellytelly.com kellytelly.com So what's up in this website? Aside from being a one-stop center for my portfolio & activities, I have opened my very own online shop! kellytelly.com/shop kellytelly.com/shop kellytelly.com/shop So far, it is full with my preloved books, which brings me to the next announcement; Preloved Books Sale is coming again to you! With even wider range of genres & even more affordable price, this shop as all the books you need. Only click & buy in one browser & one website. A new book would be on sale every day, so keep your eyes out 👀 Susbscribe so that you would be the 1st person to know about new posts & products 👍🏽 For starter, I think this is a good product to lead with. With that being said, stay tuned for more products to come 😏 I'm excited with all the results that come so far,

Why I Dislike Debating (Not Debate)

It all started when I was seventeen years old. My teacher asked me to join the English debate team for the school, simply out of reason that I can speak English not just fluently, but also spontaneously. I didn't think too much about it at that time, and just said yes. Plus, I like talking.

The topic that I got was, and I'm simplifying it here: can students bring phones to school? Firstly I got excited, because I totally agree with the statement. Reasons? Maybe I'll save it for another time.
Then I found out that I got to be the opposing team. I was quite bummed out, but that didn't stop me from trying my best. In fact, it helps me to see the disadvantages of supporting the statement.

It was just that, when it was the actual day of the competition, when it was the actual time for me to stand up and talk, I didn't feel like my true self. My mouth said no, but my heart said yes. And although I won the competition at the end, I felt disappointed that I didn't get to deliver my actual thoughts to the audience, and persuade them.
Yeah sure, being the opposing side did help me to see things differently, but that wouldn't necessarily change what I believe in.

If I could control the whole thing of this particular competition,
this would be what my dream debate look like:

I would change my position to the proposition side, and talk from my mind and my heart. After I finish talking, then I would listen closely to what the opposing team has to say.
Not just hearing vague statements to twist them,
Not just hearing to disagree,
but to listen closely to learn from them,
to learn what they are thinking,
to learn what are their arguments,
and to learn where they stand.

Also while doing so, I would brainstorm to think of appropriate and better rebuttals, based on my confidence on my knowledge and my logical thinking, instead of just rebutting so they would shut up and I could continue to speak.
Not because I want to win the competition,
Not because to disagree all the way,
but simply because I want to defend my stand, because I still believe in my stand.

After some back-and-forth rebuttals, I would end the session by stating what I have learned from the debate, and state my stand. Maybe I'll still agree. Maybe I'll disagree. But it is important for people around to know how that particular debate changed my thoughts, perspectives, and finally, if I disagreed, my stand.
The opposing team would do the same. And as they do that, again I will listen closely, to learn how my deliveries also change their thoughts, perspectives, and finally, if they agreed, their stand.
And at the very end, I would pick random people from the audience to also hear their thoughts, perspectives and stand regarding to the topic. Did they agree? Did they disagree? Why? All of those are valuable for me and my opponent to take note.
So, when we dismiss, all of the people involved in that particular debate will learn something new and think more critically about the topic in the future.

Did I win? Did I lose?
That is what usually people would ask me every time I finished debating.
But in this dream debate, people around will ask 'Did the topic being agreed or disagreed? Why?'
Because in debate, the winner is not the debater. It is the topic.

If I changed my stand at the end, I won't be a loser. I just changed my thoughts based on the solid arguments that my opponents presented to me. The topic wins.
If I still stick to my opinion, I am not a winner either. I just happen to have what it takes to change the opponent's mind. In this case, the topic wins onto the opposing team.

No losers here.

Debate is unlike a dialogue, that's for sure. Dialogue focuses more on finding and agreeing upon common grounds, but debate is bringing two different opinion, and deciding which one is more accurate, through reasoning their pros and cons. Those are two different things. And even each of them have their own pros and cons. You can choose to attend and get involved in whatever that you choose between these two.
And I love to gain the best of both worlds. I still like debate. I still like debate competitions.
But, if debates are still limited just to competitions, with judges, winners, losers and superficial prizes, I would not be in any position, expect the audience. Only and only the audience. I won't do more than that.

I'm bringing my colleague's words here during that particular competition, because I feel so touched, even until now, with his words:
"Semua hujah boleh dibidas."
"Every argument can be rebutted."

In simple words, you can both mindlessly agree and disagree with everything.
But you shouldn't. Especially with that great brain of yours.
Think, ponder, wonder. Make your stand. And fight for it.
And don't be afraid to hear rebuttals, and don't feel afraid to change your mind if you are happen to be convinced. You are not losing.
You are winning against yourself, for challenging your own thoughts and beliefs.

newyorker.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Isu Besar Kehidupan yang disentuh oleh Ejen Ali The Movie

5 Pengajaran Berharga daripada BoBoiBoy The Movie 2

Moving Out to a New Home! (Virtually) 😃