Moving Out to a New Home! (Virtually) 😃

Image
Here's today's announcement. Alhamdulillah, after working earnestly for months, I finally can announce that I have a website!  kellytelly.com kellytelly.com kellytelly.com So what's up in this website? Aside from being a one-stop center for my portfolio & activities, I have opened my very own online shop! kellytelly.com/shop kellytelly.com/shop kellytelly.com/shop So far, it is full with my preloved books, which brings me to the next announcement; Preloved Books Sale is coming again to you! With even wider range of genres & even more affordable price, this shop as all the books you need. Only click & buy in one browser & one website. A new book would be on sale every day, so keep your eyes out 👀 Susbscribe so that you would be the 1st person to know about new posts & products 👍🏽 For starter, I think this is a good product to lead with. With that being said, stay tuned for more products to come 😏 I'm excited with all the results that come so far,

I Was A Science Student, But Now I'll Be Learning Art

blog.diversitynursing.com

I was a science-stream student during my school days. Now, I will be studying art in my university.

People around me who hear this, especially the ones who know me during my school days, will give responses like.

"Aww, that's a shame. You should pursue science."

"What a waste to learn art after all those years of studying science."

I do expect people to be surprised, I mean I am surprised at myself too. But, more than that, eventhough they didn't explicitly say it, it's like they are saying I am making a mistake and this choice is wrong.

And that makes me really sad.
And I have reasons for that.

1. It's never a waste to learn things.
No matter what I learn, I enjoy it. I never think every second of my time learning science during my school days is a waste. Learning new things will make you look at the world in different ways, and it changes as you learn more, diverse fields.

For example, an athlete who learn science, have more knowledge on how his body works, how the venue of a tournament is going to effect him and how taking in certain foods helps him to perform better. More importantly, a regular athlete will only see sports as it is, but he will see a much more fun and interesting view on how science and sports are connected to each other, and how manipulating one can have effects on the other.

I do have a thought that maybe people didn't intend to make me sad. They are just making conclusion, and a legit one too. I mean it is true that if I know my future would be art, obviously I will spend more of my school days studying art. Which brings me to my next point...

2. You never know, for sure, what your future is.
A very simple example here. You are going to Place A. But something comes up and now you need to go to Place B. If you know you need to go to Place B, you would be heading there in the first place, right?

But that's the problem. You don't.

Whoever we are now, we didn't plan precisely to be what we are now. Some just plan and follow the flow. Some plan and succeed. Some plan but something else come up. Some ended up being totally different from what they plan in the first place.

One thing we all have in common, we don't know if what we plan will succeed exactly like we intend to.

Is it wrong to learn science when you don't know that you will take art in the future, just like it is wrong to go to Place A when you don't know that you will go to Place B?

3. Learning different things can be an advantage in disguise.
I was once being asked, "What will you feel if you dedicate your life to study, only to be a housewife later in life?"

This is not as pathetic as it sounds. For a bit, yes it may seem like a waste, not be able to serve in the field, since you have already acquire the knowledge and skills needed.

But that's a waste only to the employers, since they have less resources to use and less workers to recruit.

On the other hand, it is a bonus for me. Just like how the athlete can use his knowledge of science to win the tournament.

For example, if I have a PhD in mechanical engineering, but ended up being a housewife, it may seems to be not suitable, especially considering that both of them have little in common.

But if you think about it, would it have effects on my daily lives? No.
I would just go around the house, doing my business, like any other housewives.

In fact, I appeal unlike any housewives, by the fact thatI have the knowledge of mechanical engineering. So, eventhough I did not really apply it in daily life, that knowledge will make me view things differently and gives me subtle benefits.
I would be able to engage in conversations about physics and their applications.  I would have more understanding about current news and issues related to engineering. I would know the best about building designs, constructions and machinery among my housewives peers. And I can help them to understand too.

"Imagine having a mother, who is not only excellent in managing the house and your needs, but are also knowledgeable in such a complicated but crucial aspect of field.
That would be really cool."

Yeah, that was my answer.



So yeah, transitioning field doesn't sounds so bad now, does it?

We do have the rights to choose what we want to learn and to work on the fields that require us to apply what we learn. In this way, we can contribute to society, and to repay us, society will fulfill our needs, which is usually through our salary.

But, technical things aside, learning is fun. Gaining knowledge is fun. And having a new view if the world due to that knowledge is the best.

In addition, we don't know our future. We can make plans, as detailed as we want it to be, but things can, and occasionally will, go unexpectedly.

If we don't reflect on our actions and situations, and use them to make our lives and the lives of the people around us better,
then everything that happens in our life,
whether we want it or not,
whether we plan it or not,
WILL BE a waste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Isu Besar Kehidupan yang disentuh oleh Ejen Ali The Movie

5 Pengajaran Berharga daripada BoBoiBoy The Movie 2

Moving Out to a New Home! (Virtually) 😃